Learning Quran is a very noble act, which every Muslim should be performing daily. It gives him/her knowledge about all aspects of life, also brings him/her near to the Creator, and will be a proof of the rewards of his/her good deeds on the Day of Judgment.
Quran learning is equally required from both Muslim men and women. Muslims start learning Quran from the early years of life. The continuously connection with Qur’an through its learning brings Muslim closer to the Creator, brings great blessing in this worldly life and will be a source of big reward in the hereafter.
The benefits of Learning Quran are unlimited with main benefit of guidance towards the straight path to Allah.
It has been Narrated by `Uthman that, The Prophet (ﷺ) said, “The best among you (Muslims) are those who learn the Qur’an and teach it.” (Bukhari)
So, this Hadith shows that best of all are those who are associated with Quran (by learning it and conveying its beneficial knowledge.
In additional to that, the superiority of the Qur’an above other kinds of any other speech it been narrated by Abu Musa Al-Ash`ari that the Prophet (ﷺ) said,
“The example of him (a believer) who recites the Qur’an is like that of a citron which tastes good and smells good. And he (a believer) who does not recite the Qur’an is like a date which is good in taste but has no smell. And the example of a dissolute wicked person who recites the Qur’an is like the Raihana (sweet basil) which smells good but tastes bitter. And the example of a dissolute wicked person who does not recite the Qur’an is like the colocynth which tastes bitter and has no smell.
Importance of Quran learning can be understood through many examples. Reading Surah Al Mulk daily at night will save person from punishment in grave and is Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (ﷺ): “He (ﷺ) used to recite Surah As-Sajdah and Surah Al-Mulk before sleeping.”
Also, Surah AL Fatiha is declared as Shifa/cure for every illness, it has been narrated by Abu Sa`id Al-Khudri: While we were on one of our journeys, we dismounted at a place where a slave girl came and said,
“The chief of this tribe has been stung by a scorpion and our men are not present; is there anybody among you who can treat him (by reciting something)?” Then one of our men went along with her though we did not think that he knew any such treatment. But he treated the chief by reciting something, and the sick man recovered whereupon he gave him thirty sheep and gave us milk to drink (as a reward). When he returned, we asked our friend, “Did you know how to treat with the recitation of something?” He said, “No, but I treated him only with the recitation of the Mother of the Book (i.e., Al-Fatiha).”
We said, “Do not say anything (about it) till we reach or ask the Prophet (ﷺ) so when we reached Medina, we mentioned that to the Prophet (in order to know whether the sheep which we had taken were lawful to take or not). The Prophet (ﷺ) said, “How did he come to know that it (Al-Fatiha) could be used for treatment? Distribute your reward and assign for me one share thereof as well.”
Another Virtue of the Qur’an is about Surah Al Kahf, it comes in a hadith: “Whoever memorized the first ten ayahs of Surah Kahf will be saved from Dajjal. (Sahih Muslim)”
Etiquettes and Rules of Learning Quran
- We learn from the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (ﷺ) and from the traditions of his companions (Sahaba (R.A)) that Qur’an should be recited with esteem and concentration of heart and mind. Muslims when memorize or learn Qur’an, they need to keep revising it so that they do not forget it because it is considered as sin to forget Quran after acquiring its knowledge. Allah (s.w.t) has made it compulsory on us to learn knowledge of Quran and impart it to others.
- It is one of the etiquettes that a person is in state of Wudu (ablution) while reciting and the place is free of nijasat (impurities).
- It is the responsibility on a Muslim to correct the mistakes of other Muslim when he/she is doing mistakes while reading Qur’an.
- One should learn from a teacher who has proficient knowledge of Quran with Tajweed and Tafsir so that we get better in understanding Quran.
- While reading the Qur’an, understanding its content and pondering over it are not-to-be-missed ingredients of the whole process.
We need to make dua that O Allah(s.w.t)! grant us with the best understanding of your holy book Qur’an and guide us to the straight path, Ameen.